UPCOMING COURSES - £25 per person
Battersea Ironsides on 19th & 26th January 2024 - 7:00pm to 9:30pm
Click on https://www.tickettailor.com/events/lsrfur/1031730 to enrol
Chobham RFC on 25th.October & 1st. November 2023 – 7.00pm to 9.30pm
Click on https://buytickets.at/lsrfur/964008 to enrol
Why become a referee
- Learn the Laws and become a better player
- Experience new Opportunities
- Learn new Skills
- Stay Involved in the game
Surrey referee priorities
- Increase the standard and numbers of club referees across Surrey
- Support our club referees to join the london referees society
- Recruit & Retain Young Match Officials (YMOs) across our clubs to grow and sustain the future of our game
- Recruit and develop more Female referees to support the growth of the game and home world up launch pad
- Support referee development of the 7s game
What to do next
The first step is to attend one of the courses listed below, and you’re on your way. The minimum age to become a Rugby Union Referee is 14.
- If you wish to start refereeing U8 to U12 you need to attend an RFU course called: Level 1 – Refereeing Children. This course is designed to provide new referees with the core skills to be able to referee rugby union safely and confidently. It takes 3 hours and is a mixture of practical and classroom based activities.
- If you wish to start refereeing U13 and above you need to attend an RFU course called: Level 2 – Refereeing the 15-a-side game. This course is for new and developing referees wanting to referee the 15-a-side game and will equip delegates with the skills and confidence to do so effectively. It takes 12 hours and is a mixture of practical and classroom based activities.
- Enrol on the London Society of Rugby Football Union Referees “Take Up the Whistle Referee Course”. The cost is £25 per person but this will be funded by Surrey Rugby.
Surrey Rugby committment to refereeing
Surrey Rugby are working alongside the RFU and London Society to ensure referee courses and top up CPD are available across the CB. We are committing to:
- Support clubs to bring more youth referees into the game by running the introduction to referee course
- Alongside the London Society we have committed to fund 100 Take Up The Whistle courses each season
- We are supporting youths as they develop into referees by providing mentors and referee opportunities and will sponsor selected youths to complete the YMO ERRA course
- We will work alongside the RFU to ensure more ERRA courses are available across the county
- We will ensure appropriate and relevant referee CPD sessions on specific themes are delivered throughout the season
Young Male and Young Female Referee Development
Surrey Rugby have recruited two volunteers to be responsible for the development of all our young male and female referees. Link to contact them here:
London Society of Rugby Footall Union Referees
For information on the London Referee Society and to see referee club appointments click the following link: https://www.londonrugby.com/